Monday, March 3, 2014

My hair helped me to realize how volunteering helps makes other people’s lives better...

38 DAYS! Here's #38 of I FOUND GOD IN MY HAIR: VOLUNTEER…






I spent the weekend with my friend Sarah; her daughter Maddy has hair with a similar texture to mine. When I arrived, the girl’s hair had clearly not been combed in months—it was matted so bad it was starting to dread; they weren’t like beautiful dreadlocks, just a hot matted mess of uncombed hair–very different. When I asked Sarah about Maddy’s hair, she almost broke down in a heap of tears. Sarah was frustrated and ashamed about what to do with her little girl’s mane. We went to the store and purchased some hair products; when we came back, I proceeded to show Sarah how to do Maddy’s hair. Now, I admit this was not a fun time for little Maddy, but I promised next time would be better. And better, and better and better... When we were done, Sarah thanked me profusely. There was no need, though —she was my friend and Maddy is practically my niece! I’d do whatever I could to help. It made me feel good to volunteer that day and decided I was going to do more of it. My hair helped me to realize how volunteering helps makes other people’s lives better. And makes me feel great! “

*Every day starting February 24th at 11:11AM EST (it is said that the angels sing at this time!) until April 10 I will count down the remaining days of our 'A Call to HAIRiette ARMS' rocket hub.com fundraising campaign. We're raising funds to create an interactive series --with YOU!-- and a haircare line (a portion of which goes to charity, THE ACTOR'S FUND).

We'll share one essay from my upcoming book I FOUND GOD IN MY HAIR: 98 spiritual principles I learned from my relationship with…my hair! (via twitter: @tanyaTTwright, @HAIRietteharlem). As with all things that give you struggle, my hair has taught me a lot about life, love…and FAITH. It is my hope you will find inspiration in these essays to apply to your own life.

Click the link below to view a fun video about HAIRiette of HARLEM and DONATE to our rocket hub.com campaign! THANK YOU!!!!

xo Tanya

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/37433-a-call-to-hairiette-arms-let-s-raise-50-000-in-50-days

PS--If you can't click on the link above, just copy and paste it to your browser! :)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home